Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mark's simple dill pickles

My father in law gave my husband this recipe a year before he passed a way. It has become one we use the most. You use an ice cream pail and it can last in the fridge for a year. (ours barely last a week.)

What you will need is cucumbers, 4 to 6 heads dill, 4 to 6 clove garlic, 1 med. onion, and 1 tsp Mustard seed. Then the brine is 1 pint vinegar, 1 1/2 quart water, and 1/2 cup canning salt.

I start heating the brine so when I am done it is also to the boiling point.



Then I put half of the onion, dill, garlic, and mustard seed on the bottom of the ice cream bucket.

Slice the cucumbers and pack them in as tight as you can. Then once you filled to the Top (I didn't have many so I only did a half a bucket.) Then cover with the rest of the onion, dill, garlic and mustard seed.




Pour the brine over the lot till bucket is full.


Cover with a cloth and let sit for three days one counter. then cover with lid and put  in fridge and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment