Monday, November 16, 2015

Canning Green beans

I can all my green beans very year. So I decided to tell you how I do it. First thing is deciding to do a raw pack or hot pack. To me this is a no brainer on my end. I do the hot pack that cuts down on some time. ( I can't remember doing a hot pack so I can't say on taste.)
First thing is to gather your beans.( Did you think I would skip that? ;) ) after washing them, you need to snap them. I at one time thought it was easier to just snap the top and bottom of the bean. But one night I wanted them to fit in a small bucket in the fridge so I made them smaller.

Then I once again rinse the green beans to make sure they are good and clean.

As II am rising the beans I fill one of my sinks with hot water and my jars. (I do not have a dishwasher or I would just use that.)


As I pack the jars I have the lids warming. (My lids are older sense I bought them in box cases. so read the guidelines if you are buying newer ones.) I also have a pot of water heating as I work.


Then loosely pack the beans in the hot jars.


once the water is boiling pour it in the jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. I use a butter knife to poke in the jar on all sides to release the air bubbles. (this keeps the jars from breaking in the pressure cooker.)
Then take a clean cloth or paper towel and wipe the rim of the jar. Once clean place the hot lids and rings on the jars.
Now time for loading the pressure canner.

I can usually fit up to seven pints in my canner. but make sure they are not touching the sides or each other.
Now you will have to get the pressure cooker ready according to the book. Mine says to put three quarts of cold water in.

I usually have three quart canning Jars filled with water waiting for me. Then after making sure that the air vents are clean I put the lid on.


Now you need to heat the canner till the steam comes out and the vent(or vent lock) in front comes up. Place your regulator on the vent pipe. Then wait till the pressure reaches you goal. Mine is 10 pounds of pressure. Now wait and watch the pressure for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes turn of heat and let cool till the air vent/cover lock falls. Then you can open and place the jars on a towel to cook. I leave them overnight, but don't move them for eight or more hours so they seal correctly.
To check if they sealed after the length of time rub finger gently on the lid. It should not move or make a sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment